Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What Foundation Are You Laying for Christ?

One of the resources that we have available for those that make a donation to the Christian Research Institute is a booklet on rewards. Rewards are not commonly talked about in contemporary sermons but they were common fare in the sermons of Jesus Christ. We see this in the Olivet Discourse, in the Book of Revelation, and the Sermon on the Mount.

Jesus Christ is not alone, the apostles spoke about rewards. Whether we’re talking about the apostles Peter, James, or Paul, rewards are a common theme in the Bible. Therefore, we should be familiar with the concept of rewards.

I love what the apostle Paul says in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15,
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

This illustrates the sober reality that some Christians will be resurrected with precious little to show for the time they spent on earth. They “will be saved, but only as one escaping the flames.” This conjures up images of people escaping burning buildings with little more than the charred clothes upon their backs. Christ whose eyes are “like blazing fire” (Rev. 1:14) will incinerate the work of those whose built monuments to themselves, monuments build of “wood, hay or straw.” That will be the lot of even the most visible Christian leaders whose motives were selfish rather than selfless. They were there not for the love of the Master but for the love of what was on the Master’s table.

On the other hand, those who build selflessly upon the foundation of Christ using, “gold, silver, and costly stones” will receive enduring rewards.
For further information on this topic, I recommend getting the whole booklet entitled Rewards! You can get this on our Website at www.equip.org or by calling us at 1-888-700-0274.

2 comments:

Deak said...

I try to tell people that these said rewards are the incentive to being a good Christian. They think you have to be a good Christian or else you'll lose your salvation. This is a good post, Hank, I may reference it to people.

vantheman said...

SoJah - No More Tears
LOve this today song
If I can see the truth why can't anyone else..LORD
It not for everyone.....the chosen see! AM I CHOSEN! LORD?

WHAT ABOUT THE TRUTH

So as his { JESUS} arrival approaches are we truly prepared........ are we keeping his commandments? Of the ten original... there is one that boggles my mind........the fourth commandment!?

LORD????? did you change that? ~ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME~

Of all the commandments..why is that one the only one to be changed!/ I am stuck....

I AM {SOS} S tuck O n S tupid........here i have to admit it!

The Lord { I am that Iam} took the time, with his own finger to inscribe these tablets.......

and HE { GOD/JESUS}asked that they be kept even unto the end of time.......

Yet they are not! WHY?

Our father who art in heaven hallowed be thy Name, thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..............yada yada ya da!

You ALONE sit high and look low, with Jesus at your right hand preparing for the great day......

I am making things ready oh my lord, not I but the spirit of you with in this humble servant......

Anoint me Lord I ask in the Holy name JESUS!

Help me as I try to do YOUR WILL!........

Straight and narrow is the way............you are not a God of confusion......

many a false preacher have showed up, as you have written about in your Holy Word.......

What does this mean anyone:?

"Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them."

Acts 20:28-30

Yes! Long ago God predicted that, from within the church itself, misguided men/women;

would arise who would attempt to change His holy law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eiI52WluF0

Guide me Lord!/

I trust only in you Now Lord, many have already been led astray and they know it not!

Use this humble servant has you see fit LORD!?

My mind, my heart, my soul......I give to thee right now Use Me Lord as you desire........

I am yours ...

thank you

In The HOLY/Righteous Name Of JESUS

Amen, Am